Friday, March 13, 2009

Debbie Creatures

Debbie Reynolds (aka Lilith 'Lily' Prescott) was the reason my mother named me Debbie. I've met a few other Debbies my age who tell me similar stories.

Last summer, my namesake came to the Arvada Center for an outdoor concert, so I booked tickets and invited my mom and mother-in-law to join me with requisite spouses. Turns out I was the only one eager to see Debbie Reynolds. She still looks amazing at 77 and puts on a rather ribald show, poking fun at her ex-husband, Eddie Fisher, but also at herself.

But I digress...

The term "Debbie Creature" was actually coined by an elderly relative of mine (whose name will not be mentioned to protect me from harm).

I used to find it offensive, but have since learned that once a person reaches a certain age, they can say whatever they damn well please and you'd better just smile and put up with it. Debbie Reynolds can verify that for me.

For example, when I was expecting my fourth child (and looking pretty darned good, thank you very much...wasn't even in maternity clothes at my fourth month of pregnancy!) I was at my sister's wedding with my husband and three small children (ages 3 1/2, 2 1/2 and 1). My grandmother shouted from across the large, open room, "HOW MANY CHILDREN ARE YOU GONNA HAVE?!"

I answered with a dry mouth and short, clipped words, "Twelve, I think."

That shut her up for the rest of the evening.

Anyways, back to Debbie Creatures.

My PhD friend with the nine kids, otherwise known to the blogging world as The Philosopher-Mom, alerted me to the story of one of the current Survivor castaways...Debbie Beebe.

She's your typical Debbie...blonde, gorgeous, fit...not tall though. Her bio says 5'2". Should be taller to really qualify for a true "Debbie Creature."

Special thanks to the Philosopher-Mom for NOT suggesting ME to the casting agent. She did that once before, you know. It was 1993 and I had just had my 5th baby. The Maury Povich Show was looking for real-living parents who actually thought having children was a good idea. They had to call someone in the state of Virginia 'cause they evidently couldn't find any in New York. They already had a bunch of folks who were "childfree by choice," from New York. In fact, that was the name of the episode, "Childfree by Choice." My husband and I were dimwitted enough...Okay, maybe I should re-phrase that...I was dimwitted enough to convince my husband that we would be great for the episode. I was certain we could convince the free world that parenting was wonderful and children were great and see how much fun we're having?

Anyways, PhD Mom didn't take the bait for either Maury Povich or Survivor. She knew enough to leave it to the Debbie Creatures.

Thanks, Kalynne!

1 comment:

Kalynne Pudner said...

Pshaw. Y'all were perfect on Povich! And if we'd found each other back in August, you can bet your Debbie-ness I would have recommended you for Survivor!