Monday, April 06, 2009

Deadly Earthquake in L'Aquila, Italy

Please pray for the people of L'Aquila, Italy today as they are searching for bodies from the deadly destruction of an earthquake that struck early this morning. The quake, which measured 6.3 on the Richter scale, is one of the worst to hit the region since the deadly quake that hit southern Italy (including Naples) in 1980, killing 3,000 and leaving hundreds of thousands of people homeless.

My husband called me from work to tell me the news. We had visited there as a young couple when we lived in Naples, Italy in the late 80's. I remember L'Aquila as being a gorgeous medieval city built in the mountains. It is no wonder there is such destruction as most of the buildings are centuries old and built of ancient stone. I took the above picture on our visit to L'Aquila around 1986. It was one of countless picturesque scenes of the ancient city.

Please pray for the people of L'Aquila, the survivors and the aid workers.

1 comment:

Anna Scott Graham said...

such devastation! my prayers are with them...